RiceFest is an annual community celebration, named after Wayne and Lorraine Rice, who were tireless volunteers at the CCLC for many years. We created RiceFest in honor of their love of music and their strong belief that everyone should have access to what we offer at the CCLC.
RiceFest coincides with the nationwide American Craft Week, which celebrates and promotes the work of artisans and craftspeople across the country.
Bring your appetite and your dancing shoes, and enjoy a day of music, food, and fun at the CCLC! Featuring demonstrations by local artisans, food by the Lubec Masons and the Rice Family, music all afternoon, children's games and activities, a Whoopie Pie baking contest, a cake walk, and more.
RiceFest is funded in part by a grant from the Maine Arts Commission, an independent state agency supported by the National Endowment for the Arts.
Whoopie Pie Contest
Whoopie Pies are the quintessential Maine dessert. Google for a recipe and you’ll get hundreds of choices. Debate rages about origins (Pennsylvania Gobs?) and fillings, and there is a Whoopie Pie Festival in Maine every year, with its share of fanatics.
The basic traditional Whoopie Pie is this: two chocolate cakes with white creamy filling in the middle. However, you’ll find lots of creative variations out there, like red velvet, pumpkin chocolate chip, key lime, and yes, even bacon.
So bust out your cookbooks and test your recipe at the RiceFest Whoopie Pie Contest!
- Entries will be accepted until 2:00 pm on Saturday, October 8th. Drop them off in RICE HALL. (There is no entry fee.)
- There are two categories, Traditional & Gourmet:
- Traditional: Chocolate cake with white cream filling
- Gourmet: Can be any flavor cake or filling
- Only one Traditional entry per person, please, but you can enter as many different Gourmet creations as you’d like!
- Please submit 3 Whoopie Pies for judging.
- Winners will be announced at 5 p.m. at the start of the supper in the Commons. You need not be present to win.
- Trophies will be awarded for first prize in each category. Ribbons will be awarded for second and third place in each category.